- Compare Maine Doctors
- Compare Maine Hospitals
- Free Health Resources
- Affordable Care
- Diabetes Type 2
- Free HarvardX Healthcare Class
- For Caregivers
- Choosing Wisely
- Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Poor Quality Care
- Quick Links
- About Us
Self Care Checklist
Here are self-care steps recommended by the experts. Make a promise to yourself to do the following – choose where you want to start on your path.
- Choose a doctor that has been highly rated for heart disease care
- Make healthy food choices daily – Eat at least 5 fruits/vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free dairy products; do not add salt to your food and do not use food products with a high salt content. Ask for a referral to a nutritionist if you have other health issues like diabetes and are not sure what foods are best to eat given your other health problems.
- Be active every day – Your health care team can help you know what is the right amount for you.
(fun ways to exercise)
- Quit smoking – For assistance, call the Maine Tobacco Helpline at 800-207-1230 and avoid being in the room with other smokers.
- Limit alcohol to no more than one small drink per day and will not use illegal drugs especially cocaine.
(kicking bad habits)
- Know my numbers – Keep track of important health information, such as your body mass index (BMI), cholesterol, and blood pressure.
- Get regular medical & dental checkups.
- Get enough sleep at night and rest when I need it.
- Reduce my stress.
- Be patient and allow the days or weeks it might take my heart drugs to start working.
- Keep a log of the all the drugs I am taking including medicines and vitamins I got without a prescription and share that list with my care team. Call 211 for help if I cannot afford to buy my prescriptions.
- Wash my hands regularly.
- Talk to my medical team to see if immunizations for the flu and pneumonia are up to date.
- Talk to my healthcare team about any concerns or side effects I am having including but not limited to depression and will be truthful about what I am doing and what I want answers about.